Monday, 10 November 2014

why i don't take quarterly results too seriously nowadays

When i first started investing close to 10years ago, i tend to keep checking results when they come out.

 I look a forums and talk to people at agms. Most people tend to look at results when they come out and a significant number will react to the results in terms of buying/selling less/more. Most will quickily analyse the latest figures.

nowadays, i tend to look at investing as long term. I invest on long term fundamentals n these usually don't change rapidly.

Quarterly results doesnt matter to me as much as they do, and they have much less effect on keeping me awake.

That being said, different people have different styles. Some analyse results n make wise decisions and make money doing so. So whether to analyse quarterly results in depth or not really depends on individual. Do what works for oneself and one must be comfortable and happy doing so.

One thing however i look at and tend to make decisions based on this, exclusion of dividends on a consistent dividend history as this to me signifies something much more important than results results n more results, a point which i cannot overemphasise.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul

    I guess I belong to those who looks at every quarterly results and analyze them. 3 months is still ok for me, some even do it everyday to the extent of looking out for every piece of news.

    I think its prudent to at least look at it once a year. Otherwise they are not considered investing just punting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i agree. I look at it every 6mths or so.
      I find it hard to emulate old old rich still...look at leerubber shaw family..they have stakes in no of old old company n stay vested for donkey years without selling out. Not sure whether they keep a close eye on these...
      Power!!!

      Delete

hello