Friday, 27 March 2015

why I don't take my gain off the table for noel gifts?

I started studying this company in detail and buying this counter 1-2yrs ago. I hold about 3/4m shares at ave price 26c. Capital gains of 30-40k so far.

One of my old friends said " damn stupid, make money, quickily gia lui n run"  I tried explaining my view to him but i guess he couldn't get my point.

Anyway here's my point

1) strong brand n getting stronger n getting increased visibility from the public n government.

2) sg50 & mas deals in...likely more to come perhaps from the private sector even.

3) capital plus dividend raise expected

4) company exists for 4 decades. I dont see it going bust anytime soon.

in summary, don't kill the goose which lays the golden eggs. the golden eggs are be put to hatch more golden gooses.

10 comments:

  1. If anyone wants to know whether long term investing worth it or not then you have proof to show them. Congrats on your Noel Gifts status. Also, it's wise of you to spare the goose's life as more golden eggs can be expected. But then different people have different investment preferences so it is not wrong either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I hope my holding period can be forever if the situation permits-
      a homegrown s'pore gift co. which most s'poreans know.

      Delete
  2. Succeeding as an investor takes a strong mind, but a stronger heart. That is especially true when stocks plunge—or soar.

    Read more ? When a Giant Gain Causes Pain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stocks plunge or soar aka capital gain or losses- yes, its beyond anyone's control..but take heart, there are dividends to sooth oneself.
      to me, thats my ultimate aim of investments- cashflow.
      cheers!

      Delete
  3. I tend to agree to your points on investing noel. However main issue is low liquidity. To sell your big lot will not be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi simple investor
    selling is same as buying which took me 6mths to do so. But selling in hurry then its different.
    imo, ngi has grown from 1.5m cap to 30m cap im 2 decades.
    its highly likely that this performance can be repeated or imo even better since now brand recognition is beginning to take place on a bigger scale.
    as such, i could maintain my approx 0.75% ownership of ngi..while divesting my dividends elsewhere with these effects 1) reduce my risk to my original stake 2) create new income streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for sharing your investing philosophy. As long you do not overpay for ngi and can collect dividends yearly, maybe it is still alright. I took a glance at the recent half yearly result..if not for extraordinary gain, company would have been loss making. imo, at current price, no margin of safety.

      Delete
  5. I agree with u that at current price, its not cheap unless one would price in the brand name.
    Thanks for your views.
    Feel free to share your investment philosophy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is relatively simple. I will consider stocks that can generate sustainable reasonable dividends yearly and yet have a certain margin of safety.

      Delete
  6. Sounds v reasonable.
    Actually with that concept i bought in ngi.
    I secretly hold a view that this will become in growth stock in future. But even if this doesnt happen, i'd be happy just to collect my dividends.

    ReplyDelete

hello